From: "Mike Miller" <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
To: "TCLUG List" <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:50:02 PM
Subject: [tclug-list] good notebook for college student?

My son starts college in a few days.  He has an old Dell laptop that isn't
good enough for him, I guess.  He wants for his laptop to be his main
computer, so he thinks he doesn't want a netbook because of the relative
slowness of the processor.  We are thinking it would be nice to have
either DVI or HDMI output and to have a monitor/HDTV in his dorm room
where he can dock his laptop and also use it for TV/movies.  On the other
hand, if he has a nice TV, does that mean that other kids will be wanting
to watch it all the time?  They have free HD cable to the dorm rooms
(UW-Madison).

We definitely want to run Linux (Ubuntu, preferably) and still have
everything working properly.  He might have to run Windows in a VM, or as
a dual-boot setup, but I'm not sure about that (he's mostly concerned that
he hasn't been able copy music files to his iPod Touch from Ubuntu, but
I'll try some experiments here while he's visiting).

Just thought I'd check here to see what kinds of tips and ideas you guys
have.  It's a tricky decision because of the trade-offs with price, power,
battery-life, features, etc.  We'd like to keep the price down to $600.

Mike