I have loaded up quite a number of computers, some recently with less
than 1GB using live CDs. Memory should not be a problem here. Anyways,
what you are essentially looking to do it seems is access files on
Windows (FAT-NTFS) to copy to another machine? In that case, why not
just remove the hard drive and install it as a secondary in another
machine? Transferring and accessing files would be infinitely quicker.

Alternatively if Linux gives you some issues there is always WinPE,
which is essentially creating a XP live CD. Useful when you need
certain Windows only programs in a live environment. I have used this
to access servers that I needed to slipstream in specific drivers.
However, unless the hardware is rare or non supported you shouldn't
need this. In my experience the WinPE is much quicker and responsive
than the mainstream Linux Live CD distros like Ubuntu which
essentially try to load an entire OS full of junk. Ubuntu even loads
the bleeping eye candy crap.