On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Steve Cayford wrote:
>
>> Mike Miller wrote:
>>
>> You added the UTF-8 meta tag to the page, but your http headers say
>> ISO-8859-1. I don't know which takes precedence.
>
> Well, I guess we know now.  But why doesn't the content of the file itself
> override the default setting in the web server?  I don't know.  It seems
> like a bad design to me.
>
> Did you see that renaming the .html file with a .utf8.html extension
> solves the problem?  It does.  More weirdness.

I don't know why Firefox does that... it can be annoying at times
(like this).  You can see similar issues if a server has the mime type
set wrong for jpegs, or something like that.  If you point the browser
directly at the file, IE will look at the file, and see that it is a
jpeg, and display it as such.  Firefox will simply look at the
headers, and present you an option to download the file as a binary
object.  Seems like they could at least read the first bits of the
file, and figure out the common file types automatically - or in this
case, use the charset information from the file.

Dan