On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Mark Mitchell <
mark.russel.mitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an HP Laserjet 3330 MFP, connected via USB to an up to date Ubuntu
> system.  I can print from the linux system, I can print from windows
> machines on the network, but I can't scan.
>
> If I press the 'scan' key on the printer, it gives a 'waiting for PC'
> message for a couple seconds, then returns to the status screen.  An attempt
> to 'scan to', results in a beep and 'not set up' error message.
>
> Any clues out there?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Asked for help too soon.  From my next search, I learned that the driver
does not support scans initiated from the printer, only from sane-compatible
apps on the PC.  So, aptitude install xsane, and the printer responds.

It still doesn't quite work, I get an 'Error during read: Error during
device I/O' after the scan bulb has traversed and returned.  Not there yet,
but closer.

Mark