PHP can establish an SSH2 connection and execute a command, should be fairly
trivial to whip up a PHP script with a form to do what you asked in the
original email. As PHP would be executing on the server, the SSH connection
would be coming from the server. As you would be using SSH directly you
wouldn't need to setup anything that would run with root level permissions
to change a password.

You would still want to setup an SSL connection so the username, current
password, and new password don't go over the wire in the clear. You can
obtain free SSL certs that your browser won't throw warnings about from
StartSSL (http://www.startssl.com).