On 4/13/2010 2:03 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> You could have it run the passwd program immediately after the user logs
> in.  Then it exits.  That's all it does.  I don't know how you'd make a
> web interface do this.
Someone suggested allowing ssh access and using /usr/bin/passwd as the
default shell off-list and it turns out not having /bin/false in
/etc/shells (I thought it was) was the reason users couldn't log in
before. I tried setting a test user's shell to /usr/bin/passwd and it
does exactly what you describe. The most damage an attacker could do
here is change the password of the compromised account.