On 4/13/2010 7:12 AM, gm5729 wrote:
> You can chroot jail users who have shell access you know too so no one
> can creep back up the tree. Permissions, Permissions, Permissions....

Perhaps I could chroot ssh users to an empty directory, though somehow I
think they may still be able to shoot themselves in the foot...
My main concern with these users is that they could accidentally do
something bad to the shared directory, and not so much that they would
even have a clue how to mess up the system overall.
Also, AFAIK, it's impossible to get root access without knowing the
credentials of someone who has shell access, even if you know root's
password (assuming of course that root is not allowed to log into FTP or
SSH, which is the case here).
> IPTABLES can go great with  port
> knocking which adds another layer of security.
Shorewall (a frontend to iptables) seems to be working nicely. The
policy is a whitelist, letting only the handful of us in to access a few
select ports. A script kiddie would have to hijack one of my users'
machines to even have a hope of trying to compromise an account. If it's
possible, I'd like to restrict logins to each specific account so that
each user couldn't log in as another, even though both users are allowed
to use the system.
> LONG LONG
> Passphrases. If someone wants to ssh into my box. They won't get away
> with at least a minimum 30 charc passphrase or more!
Unfortunately, there are easier ways for someone to compromise one of my
users' accounts than brute force. Stupid FTP clients don't protect their
site managers...
> I don't follow
> you must change them 30 days, but they do need to be changed quickly
> if a person is pink slipped or transfers.

If someone gets kicked out, their account is gone. I don't need to
recycle accounts.
> Couple more ideas. Skype is secure by it's design. Even it's creators
> can't snoop on a P2P or conference call. Pidgin has OTR and GPG/RSA
> encryption available. Files transfers can be done there.

We're dealing with very large files shared by multiple people who are
not going to schedule a meeting to transfer files.
> If I were "renting" a box I wouldn't
> entrust any business secrets on it unless you are running GPG, scrypt,
> or bcrypt.
I trust the host enough not to go snooping around. Not that we keep
anything really sensitive on the box anyway.
> I have issues with Truecrypt and think it too complicated
> of an encryption application.
I have TrueCrypt on my laptop and I don't find it terribly complicated.
There's too much that can go wrong during initial set up that can cause
a lot of hassle on a box I don't have physical access to, though.
> My password for my boxen as root
> are ~charcs or more. My $user passwds for my boxen are ~15-20 charcs.
I admit I do need a longer root password, but if I can't remember a
15-character password, I can't trust my users (who are a lot less
security-conscious than I am) to use a long password /and/ protect it
properly from co-workers and other nosy people. A 20-character isn't any
stronger than a 5-character one if it's on a post-it note stickied to
the monitor. A brute-force attack is extremely impractical unless an
attacker can bypass the firewall.