On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Raymond Norton wrote:

> It chooses /dev/lirc on its own when I issue those commands. I created a
> symlink, but received other errors (can't recall what they were now).

/dev/lircd is usually a symlink itself (to /var/run/lirc/lircd), which
technically isn't really a device file. You might want to try mode2
--device /dev/lircd and see if that works.

The only file I actually modified is /etc/lirc/lircd.conf, where I told it
to load my custom remote file (which I created with irrecord).

You might want to check /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and make sure that's
pointing to the correct hardware driver, too, and make sure lircd is
running with the correct driver.