Thanks a bunch for the backup recs.  I finally succeeded
with BackupPC today...it backed up my main server, and the
web GUI works.  Regretfully, the docs are a bit sporadic,
so I struggled quite a bit with  lacking some expertise
(they are enough to get me going, but lacks specific
details that other-product-manual reading, Googling, etc.
can help, but not always).  The fun thing is I learned
some more stuff!

I almost gave up on it a couple of times, and looked into
some other to  possibly use instead. I was thinking of
trying  Bacula first.  Some others I was looking into are
 Amanda,  Dirvish, and SafeKeep (there are a lot of them
out there!).  The first couple are pretty deluxe and the
last 2 are more bare.  While I plan to  keep using
BackupPC  (unless something deters me!), I'm curious if
anyone has opinions on those or others?