I echo the comments below on ESXi.  I am only running the 32bit version at present, but I run an old Windows 2000 OS and Fedora Core 5 on it without any problems … all very seamless.  I would assume the same is true with the 64 bit versions.

Performance is very good.  At present, I am running it on a dual processor Xeon box from Dell.  Looking at a quad Xeon processor 64 bit system as my next upgrade.

Randy

  _____

From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Elvedin Trnjanin
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 11:33 AM
To: Kathryn Hogg
Cc: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] VMWare 2.0.2 on Linux

Kathryn Hogg wrote:

Wayne Johnson wrote:

Anyone tried VMWare Server 2.0.2?  I’ve tried it on my new AMD64 quad
core and had lots of problems. Just wondering if it's me or the software.

I unfortunately have to do the bulk of my development work in Windows even
though its all J2EE.  So I keep linux as my host OS and run XP in virtual
machine for the coding/testing.

I used to use vmware server but it seemed like their drivers would always
fail to compile and I would get some strange kernel panics.  I've switched
over to virtualbox.  It runs smoother, I've yet to have a problem with a
kernel upgrade, and the seamless mode is great.

Have you considered running ESXi and all of the operating systems you need on top of it? Compatibility (apart from hardware) should not be an issue in such a setup and performance would be better if you require multiple virtual machines running at the same time. If you intermittently need a few virtual machines, then Virtualbox is certainly a great solution as I use it too.