Hi there,

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Brian Wall wrote:

> Ok, I'll admit I'm not much of a genius when it comes to modifying
> xorg.conf.  Every time I get a newish piece of hardware I am reminded
> of this.

And I'll admit that my main desktop/s xorg.conf is an INSANE mess due to
an INSANELY over-complicated setup (two video cards and three monitors
with different resolutions/aspects) and the fact that it's technically the
same xorg.conf that started life as xfree86.conf and has just been taken
apart and put together with chewing gum and toothpicks as I've upgraded my
system over the past DECADE. No "auto config" has really ever been able to
figure it out EXACTLY right.

That said, I've found that on simple, single-monitor setups with just a
plain ol' USB mouse/keyboard, all you REALLY need in anything even
resembling a modern Linux distro is this:

### BEGIN xorg.conf ####################

Section "Device"
 	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
 	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
 	Device		"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

It scares me a lot, but I've had that just WORK on machines with regular
aspects (1280x1024 and 1600x1200) and widescreen (1400x1050 and 1920x1080)
and whatever the heck aspect 1366x768 is.

So my advice is try the super super super simple setup and see if that
works. (:

-Yaron