Wayne Johnson wrote:
> *I am using Centos-5.4 (AKA Redhat-5.4).  I install it fine, but as
> it's installing all of a sudden the VM powers off.  I looked in the
> log and it says something about an unexpected signal 6.  I did some
> googling but didn't come up with anything much.
>
> The new web interface to the VMs is great, I just wish it would work.
>
> I also tried VirtualBox.  It seemed to work fine, but I'm not thrilled
> with having to have an X window open to run the VM.  I was planning to
> run the server semi-headless and let the family access it via the
> VMWare remote client (we use VMWare 1 at work).  Thought it would be
> nice to let the kids be able to create their own machines to break.
> One of them is studying for a MCSA, so it would be nice to have
> disposable systems.
> *

In such a case, I recommend you look at ESXi or Citrix XenServer. The
vSphere and XenCenter clients would allow great monitoring of resource
usage and for ESXi, you could overcommit resources so that many virtual
machines can run at the same time.

Plus with a hypervisor running on bare metal, it's less management for you.