I just discovered that I hadn't sent the message below, so here it is now.
Thanks to everyone for the tips.  --Mike

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Robert wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but you can get
> an FM transmitter for about $20 which will transmit the output of your
> computer audio card to an FM receiver. That assumes that your stereo has
> an FM tuner, and that that is the direction you want to go.
>
> Bluetooth is not very good for anything better than voice.

Right, but I'm going to connect the sound card of the computer to the
stereo input using a wire, so that's not what my message was about.  I was
asking about how to control the computer using a wireless keyboard/mouse.

One good idea is that I should use a keyboard with a mousepad -- one less
device and easier to deal with when sitting on a couch.  Great idea.

Best,
Mike