On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Isaac Atilano
<aristophrenic at warpmail.net>wrote:

> Maybe this example makes more sense.
> From a remote ssh session, I want to run a command (startx) on virtual
> console 1 (/dev/tty1) of the ssh server so that the output of startx and
> X gets written to virtual console 1 and I can then exit out of the shell
> that issued the command.

I'm not sure it's possible for you to do what you're wanting to do, in part
because that would potentially be a huge security hole.  The ability to emit
commands to another tty and the them run using someone else's credentials -
bad.  Or is that what you're trying to accomplish indirectly?  If so - you
should use 'sudo' (or su) to run commands under other credentials, and if
you REALLY want your output to land on that console, then redirect stdout.

-Rob