On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:
> I have an Outlook PST file that is corrupted. Scanpst does not work, and
> any attempt to copy the file to a new location gives IO errors. The file
> shows that it is the proper size, but I can't get past the error. Are
> there any open source tools available that might fix this?
>

> Raymond

Sorry if you've already gone through this but I've seen that PST files
are often the most used area of a file system/drive on a given
workstation.  Try a chkdsk on the drive connected to another machine.
Also for some reason Vista/Windows 7 chkdsk has been more successful
for us than the XP version.

Another thing that seems to work well, although we're not entirely
sure why, is copying the same file using a an IDE/SATA -> USB device.
Not sure if it's the slower speed or what but some problematic files
do better that way.

Failing any of that, you could run the drive through SpinRite which
will hammer every sector and hopefully mark that sector bad, recover
the data it needs and move it to another sector.  Back up anything
else you have on the drive as SpinRite whacks it pretty hard and if
it's close to failing already, it might be the last nail.

--
Donovan Niesen