Ok so I've done some of the changes... I fooled around with the
settings and I got bursts of 5-10MB from WWW and FTP but then slowed
down to 300KB/sec... so I am thinking a $15 NIC might be my next
purchase.

My line now says:
>> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384

16,384 is getting me a more consistent speed over 200KB/sec (I tested
many different options/powers of 2) so I'm sticking with it for the
time being.

--
Ryan