On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:26:50 -0500, James <jucziz6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping this will be simple, I ran into this issue before but don't
> remember what I did to resolve it.
>
> I'm setting up a DNS in my house, it almost works. Nslookup returns
> the correct values but when I try to ssh to a system I have to add a
> period to the end of the system name for ssh to work.
>
> here is some of the information from named.conf
>
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
>         statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
>         /*
>          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
>          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
>          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
>          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
>          * port by default.
>          */
>          // query-source address * port 53;
> };
>

> zone "43p." IN {
>         type master;
>         file "43p_0.db";
> };
> zone "router." IN {
>         type master;
>         file "router_0.db";
> };
> zone "41t." IN {
>         type master;
>         file "41t_0.db";
> };
>

> Here is an example of the zone files
>
> $TTL 1H
> @       SOA     43p.home.local.     root.dell.home.local. (      2
>                                                 3H
>                                                 1H
>                                                 1W
>                                                 1H )
>         NS      43p.home.local.
>         A       192.168.1.50
>

> Thanks

Here is an example for my internal zone. Yours looks a bit funny, but then
again, that could be the way my MUA formats it.

$TTL    3600

itspecific.com. IN      SOA     ns1.itspecific.com.
root.liquidphlux.com. (

                                                9       ;       Serial
                                                1000    ;       Refresh
                                                50      ;       Retry
                                                604800  ;       Expire
                                                86400 ) ;       Minimum
TTL

;DNS Servers
                        IN      NS              ns1.itspecific.com.
                        IN      NS              ns2.itspecific.com.
;Machine Names
ns1.itspecific.com.     IN      A               172.16.0.52
ns2.itspecific.com.     IN      A               172.16.0.53
itspecific.com.         IN      A               172.16.0.51
esxserver.itspecific.com.       IN      A       172.16.0.130
;Aliases
jinzora                 IN      CNAME           itspecific.com.