I'm hoping this will be simple, I ran into this issue before but don't
remember what I did to resolve it.

I'm setting up a DNS in my house, it almost works. Nslookup returns
the correct values but when I try to ssh to a system I have to add a
period to the end of the system name for ssh to work.

here is some of the information from named.conf

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
         // query-source address * port 53;
};