On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:46:29PM -0500, Chuck Cole wrote:
> [...]

I suspect your next question is "And do you call _that_ a tuner?".

> which indicates TV channels in kilohertz?  I seriouly doubt that any of us have
> such an animal.  I have tuner cards, fancy USB connected tuners, and Slingplayer as well as ordinary TVs and VHS tape machines with
> tuners that are all interfaced and none has any mention of actual TV frequencies.

From http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help

   --dvb-frequency=<integer>  Transponder/multiplex frequency
                   In kHz for DVB-S or Hz for DVB-C/T

From http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Play_HowTo/Basic_Use_0.8

   To use a Hauppauge PVR card, select the PVR tab in the "Open"
   dialog box. Use the "Device" text input to set the device of the
   card you want to use. You can set the Norm of the tuner (PAL, SECAM
   or NTSC) by using the "Norm" Drop Down. The Frequency selector
   allows you to set the frequency of the tuner (in kHz), the bitrate
   selector to set the bitrate of the resulting encoded stream (in
   bit/s). The "Advanced Options button allows to set some more
   settings, such as the size of the encoded video (in pixels), its
   framerate (in frame per second), the interval between 2 key frames,
   etc.

> I'm only pressing for technical clarity in what he needs or asked.  His context was stated as within VLC, and frequency domain
> signals are NOT there.  He seems to need a mental or physical image of the block diagram for getting various data types fed to VLC
> and to determine which block and interfaace is in question.

Again, maybe he hasn't explained very clearly what he wants, but the
subsequent messages in this thread made it plain that he has a TV
tuner card that receives analog input and wants to display some of
that on his screen.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163