On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
> Ugh,
>
> I never thought to regularly backup my parent's OpenSuSE install
> like I do my own PC's and had a hard drive go bad.
>
> Sent to Geek Squad and called Ontrack - both places are asking for
> over $1600 to do recovery.  I can't afford that kind of cash for my
> mom's digital camera pictures as much as I want to get them back for
> her.
>
> If anyone here (or knows someone who) likes to tinker with HD data
> recovery contact me off list - I can pay for your efforts.  I've
> thought about buying a duplicate HD and trying to swap the platters -
> but I've never done it before so if you have I would love to hire
> some local help...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

The current condition of the drive is really going to dictate what you
will be able to do with the drive.  Is it making noise, does it spin
up, is it readable by the operating system?

If you do want to look back in the professional realm we tend to refer
people to Gillware in Madison, WI.  They do mail-in service for much
less than what Ontrack would charge.

http://www.gillware.net

--
Donovan Niesen