If that didn't work, you may have the NIC turned off in BIOS.  I can't recall what could do that without you knowing if it had
previously been on, but I think I have experienced exactly that before.   Otherwise, Use XP (because I know that has all the
visibility needed, and I didn't locate similar visibility in Ubuntu when I had a problem with Ubuntu's low level setup... it's
probably there, just not in a familiar form.).  I think the options are in advanced power management and/or docking options.  I know
there is a docking option that turns off the NIC sometimes, but can't recall whether that resides in BIOS.

Chuck