On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 08:26:55PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on AMD64 with Nvidia driver and GeForce 7600 card.

Are you using the free driver or the binary nvidia driver?

> I was using two 1680x1050 monitors, but I dropped the first one and
> replaced it with a DVI-to-HDMI cable to my 1920x1080 HDTV.  I'm having a
> problem configuring this properly.  I want two separate X screens.  I can
> only get it to work with both at 1680x1050.  In fact, if I change the HDTV
> setting to be 1920x1080, it reverts to 1680x1050.  If I disable the second
> monitor and use only the HDTV and tell it to use 1920x1080, if I get it to
> do that (or get both X/Nvidia and the HDTV to say that's what they are
> doing), a lot of the desktop is off the edges of the screen and not
> visible.

Is this with the nvidia control panel utilities, or with Ubuntu/X.org
ones?

> There is something called Xinerama.  If I enable Xinerama, nothing works
> (I think I was getting no X) and it tells me that RANDR is not available.

Xinerama is obsolete, RANDR is the new way forward, but I'm not sure
if nvidia proprietary driver supports it.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163