On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:40 -0600, "Yaron" <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, PJ Crump wrote:
> > Any one have an suggestions for open source Cloning tools?

> Well the super-simple way is dd. But that only really works on very
> similar sized drives. I copy drives like that all the time.

Using standard Unix utilities:

dd works great for backing up on the device level.
This means that if you back up a 2Gb partition using the device file,
e.g. /dev/sdb3, then the restore will write back a 2Gb partition image
to the location you specify, so most likely you'll be writing back to
the device file of a new partition.
This also works at the disk level, so you can back up the entire disk
with all partitions by referencing the device file, e.g. /dev/sdb.

For backing up at the file system level, you can still use dd but it
makes more sense to use a utility that reads the file system such as
tar. This allows you to limit your backup to specific files and
directories.