On 11/22 09:59 , Mike Miller wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here has run into a similar problem.  I lost power to
> my computer and when I restarted it I couldn't get back into the X
> session.  I'm running Xubuntu 9.10.  Basically, I enter the password, a
> few things happen and it asks for the password again.  This continues
> iteratively until I'm too angry and tired to continue.  When I go to
> Alt-F1 console, I see this...

This is why I hate GDM/KDM/XDM and other graphical login mechanisms, but I'm a
greybeard curmudgeon... ;)

Check your /etc/hosts file; one of the problems I had with GDM was that if
it couldn't resolve the local machine's name, it would keep dying and being restarted.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator