I think this helps a lot in understanding what the other script was up to:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/close_lid_shutdown

But on my 9.10 netbook remix install, this very short script...

/etc/acpi/events/lidbtn

...calls this much longer one:

/etc/acpi/lid.sh

Apparently, "btn" is short for "button" and there are a lot of scripts
that manage the responses to all of the buttons on the netbook.

Mike

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Mike Miller wrote:

> On another list we were discussing features like the ability to close the
> netbook and have it continue to run.  Someone found an interesting script and
> I commented on that:
>

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Russell Horn wrote:
>
>> Looks like this is scriptable to the extent that you can even turn off the
>> LCD but keep the machine running if you're playing music.
>>
>> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=38393
>

> Wow.  That is worth studying a bit.  There are lots of neat little tricks
> worked into that script.  I do a lot of scripting but I wouldn't have known
> how to detect all the different states of the machine (plugged in, etc.), so
> this part is awesome:
>
> LID_STATE=`cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state | awk '{print $2 }'`
> AC0_STATE=`cat /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/AC0/state | awk '{print $2 }'`
> VGA_STATE=`xrandr --prop -display :0.0 | grep "VGA connected [0-9]" | wc -l`
> LVDS_STATE=`xrandr --prop -display :0.0 | grep "LVDS connected [0-9]" | wc
> -l`
>
> I guess the guy doesn't know that the backtick is being deprecated in
> sh/bash, so we are supposed to do it like this using "$()":
>
> LID_STATE=$(cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state | awk '{print $2 }')
>
> That dollar-sign trick is pretty great because it works with nesting while
> the backtick cannot.  His code is also an example of a bad use of "cat"
> because this works:
>
> LID_STATE=$(awk '{print $2}' /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state)
>
> So that's how I'll do it.  It looks like there is a world of interesting data
> in /proc/acpi
>

> Different topic -- by the way, the other deprecation thing I have been trying
> to force myself to remember is to use "grep -E" instead of "egrep".
>
> Mike

Please note that I am using a new email address.
My old email address @taxa.epi.umn.edu, will stop working
because that old computer is being retired.