+1 for LyX.  Its easily the best LaTeX specific editor out there for
Linux.  If you want something a bit lower level, I recommend Kile, which
is intended for KDE but works fine in GNOME.  Honestly though, a combo
of LyX and gvim (if I needed to get at the LaTeX markup) got me through
college adv. math courses so they'd be the choice I'd recommend first.