Jay Austad wrote, On 11/03/09 10:34:
> Looking for a good full featured LDAP server.  This is for home/
> personal use, so it doesn't have to service a billion queries per
> second.
>
> I'm looking for the following features:
> - Kerberos
> - Easy integration with RADIUS or built in radius
> - Easy integration with two-factor auth (like WikiD or TripleSec)
>
> I'm looking at OpenLDAP, OpenDS, and ApacheDS.  ApacheDS seems to do
> everything I want, but the documentation for it is horrid.
>
> Are there any good resource for setting up an LDAP schema?
> --

I've been using OpenLdap for a while and it's worked very well here.
Unfortunately most of my guides that I used to set everything up died in
the Gentoo Wiki backups, but a few are still around.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml

As far a schema editing, I used google for most of it, but I've found
the guides on zytrax to be very helpful.

LDAP for Rocket Scientists - http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/

Most of my ldap work is done in phpldapadmin.  It's simple and has some
nice options for displaying/editing entries.  I use it a lot for
maintaining records and doing minor changes.  For major changes, I just
use the built in ldapsearch and ldapmodify commands.  If I add a new
field to the schema and need to default it for a few hundred records, I
find it easier to run ldapsearch to grab the records I need and dump
them to a file.  Open in vim, and a few regular expression replaces
later and I can pull the file back in with all the changes done in a few
minutes.

I haven't found a good schema editing tool yet.  I keep my schema file
in a cvs repo so I can track all the changes, and make sure I run slapd
-tT before restarting the ldap server.  I've found out the hard way that
pam/nss don't like their user/group database disappearing.  On that
note, if you plan on doing any ssl/tls for the ldap connection, I would
recommend having a mirrored server with different certs that expire on
different days (or preferably years).  Since you're doing this for
home/personal use, you can just make your own CA rather than paying for one.

Hope all that helps.

Chris