I'm gonna give a thumbs up for Scott's suggestion as well, but it really depends on
the driver you're using.

Rather than using the vesa driver, try using the "nv" driver or
the proprietary nvidia driver
<http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_190.42.html> (link is
for AMD64).  There are a lot of arguments about using the proprietary
driver but in all honesty the driver works very well for any users of
later nvidia cards, where the vesa and nv drivers can get be a serious
pain in the butt to configure.

Since you're in Debian, you can get an
older version than the 190.42 driver by getting the "nvidia-glx" package
in apt.  Right now the official stable repository has 173.14 and the unstable
repository has 185.18.  Either should be fine.  The nvidia-glx package
usually will take you through some configuration steps when you install
it, since the official nVidia drivers use some interesting configuration
methods in your xorg.conf file... don't be surprised if you don't see
your resolutions declared anywhere.

Hope this helps.

-Adam