Hi there,

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, benjaminGramlich wrote:

> I'm interested in building my own router/firewall box. Do any of you
> know of a good tutorial or resources?

I think there's something called the Linux Router Project. Which has
apparently been superseded by LEAF (http://leaf.sourceforge.net/). Or you
can check this list on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_router_or_firewall_distributions

> Additionally, would it be too much to include a media server in such a
> box?

Probably not too much from a performance point of view, but the mere idea
of running a media server on a firewall/router kinda makes me cringe,
security-wise. Technically you want your firewall/router/gateway to be
EXTREMELY secure, so putting any unneccesary applications on it would be
very bad. Even if you really only mean an NFS file server, it's probably
best avoided.

-Yaron