>>  If one has a managed switch, they generally support 802.1q VLANs.

I agree with this setup using a managed switch.  Don't get me wrong, I like IPcop, and have been running its evil older brother Smoothwall @ my house on a Pent pro 200 since almost the first beta release back in the day.  The long term problem with this setup is the box factor.  Old (and new) power supplies fail, fans will die, raid 1 is better but an old (or new) hdd might fail, etc....  I guess my point is the linux router is a bit more fragile than a switch (hardware wise in the long run).  Sure switches can die, but they are (forgive the M$ speak) slightly more Robust usually.  IMHO keep the Linux router at home, or setup somewhere where you will be often.  When things break, and your not around this sucks for you (& them).  It easier to get the call that the network/internet is down & all you have to tell someone to shutoff the switch or yank the powercord - count to 10, and plug it back it.

I recently dehodgepodged two of our offices networks, and have a few managed switches I could probably sell to you cheap if you decide to go this route.  I am pretty sure they are all 10/100 speed though.  I believe I have a couple 3-Com's, and a couple HP's all 24 port.  They are located in Oakdale, but I could bring them home to NE Mpls if you want to take a road trip.  I guess if your interested, just contact me off list.

Good Luck Brother.

B-o-B

GlobeRunners, Inc.
IT Manager