Against my better judgement, I opted for a Radeon 4850 in my new system.
I'm running into difficulty with dual-head, however.

`aticonfig --initial=dual-screen --screen-layout=whatever` works, sort of.
The second monitor is initialized and comes up, but it seems that it's
running as an independent screen (has its own cursor, can't drag windows
over to it).  Enabling Xinerama leads to quick kernel panics.  `aticonfig
--dtop=horizontal` doesn't work at all (not supported with Randr 1.2, which
also seems to be a problem with Ubuntu, though I'm using Arch).

xrandr -q doesn't find my second monitor at all, so configuring it that way
is a wash.  `Virtual 3840 1080` directives in xorg.conf seem to do...
nothing.

There are suggestions on the Ubuntu forums which involve editing a file in
/etc/ati and xorg.conf to disable RandR12, but they lead to hard lockups
when slim initializes for login (I'm using slim+xmonad).

I'm not opposed to switching to a different distro if anybody has this
successfully working.  The radeonhd driver seems like it might work, but I'd
be giving up 3d acceleration then.  Anybody have this working?
--
while (!asleep) { sheep++; }