Sorry to come into this discussion late. I just got my Pre mid last
week, so I'm still gathering impressions of the device, trying to give
it a fair shake. So far I like it, and I think it makes a good
alternative to the iPhone.

I just thought I'd add a little bit of Linux-related Pre info. My
workplace currently uses Communigate Pro (we'll be moving to Exchange in
a few months), which has ActiveSync emulation which they call "AirSync".
It had worked fairly well for us on WinMo devices, rather poorly on
PalmOS, and nearly perfect on iPhone. However its interaction with the
Pre is dismal. It failed to sync ANY PIM data, and would only show me
one ancient email from my Inbox, which it would persistently mark unread.

So if any of you are running Communigate Pro on any of your linux
servers, I would suggest against advising your users to try the Pre
until Stalker gets it working properly, unless you feel like battling it
out with support.

I also noticed mention in this thread about the seemingly non-standard
USB port on the Pre. At first I was flummoxed when I noticed this as
well, until I realized that the Pre is using the newer "Micro" USB port,
not the "Mini" USB that is found on most smartphones and smaller USB
peripherals today. Though I haven't tried it myself, I've read of others
that have HTC device chargers with the same MicroUSB port, and they have
successfully used them in conjunction with the Pre. I know having to buy
new adapters and cables is frustrating given how prevalent the MiniUSB
devices had become, but at least it is a standard port and not actually
proprietary, just currently rare.

- John