-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Mike Miller
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 11:31 AM
To: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Palm Pre

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, J Cruit wrote:

>> Of course we all know that the new Blackberries, like my Bold, are much
>> better than either one, and more secure by a long shot. =)

Regarding Blackberries, I recently migrated from (flame retardant suit activated) Exchange 2003 to 2007 at work, and I am sad to report Blackberries BIS service doesn't work with Exchange 2007 (active sync).  I was surprised by this, as I have been pushing these units (since they worked so well with our 2003 exchange servers).  After doing some research on this, it appeared that one carrier seemed to have it working, but none of the carriers of the BB's I maintain do.  It seems BB is trying to push their enterprise server instead.  For kicks I requested a quote for the BB Enterprise server, and the price was a bit high.  $8000.00 for 5 users.  I'm not sure if that price includes Vaseline or not so I decided against it.

I guess my rant is more from the corporate side of things.  Sure the BB Bold is a bad ass situation, but if it can't handle M$ active sync or a Outlook web access hack then they are loosing market share in the biz world.  I think people are reluctant to dish out the cash required for the BB enterprise server while other phone can utilize active sync with a simple data plan.  I was surprised how may complaints about this I found while researching.

Currently BB's work around for the Exchange 07 issue (Exchange 2010 beta is out as well, and BB looks to have no intension of getting that to work without their ent server package either) is to setup some POP3 nonsense with a forwarding rule to your BB email and use your work/exchange address as the "replyto".  That's a load of crap, so I have not mentioned this to tell BB users.

I guess what I am getting at is Blackberry lost a lot of stock the day I realized they don't work with Exchange 07 active sync.  I liked Blackberries.  Most of my BB flock have moved on now to Iphones, and a handful of other devices.  I am down to 3 BB users, and a clown with a Verizon XV6800 (which for the record has been a pile of crap since the guy purchased it).  I have one exchange 03 server running for these 4 people, but that wont last much longer.

Enough about phone.  Forgive the M$ speak.

SLACKWARE RULES!!!

Bob