Ruby on Rails lets you build database-driven websites very quickly.  They also
have awesome plugins.

HAML is a good html replacement.  I use it in Rails, but I believe it works
standalone too.  It replaces html with indented tags that don't need to be
closed (so half as many lines of html), plus other nice stuff.  I would never
go back.

They also have a ton of plugins for everything from shopping carts to state
machines.  But it's not a CMS.  You have to write some code to hook it all
together.  It's well suited for custom development.

It be OT, but I could give a demo of Rails at the next meeting if there was
interest.

PHP and Python are good too, depending on what you're trying to do.

Jeremy