rsync is reliable though, if you do tar over nc I'd make sure to check
some hashes to make sure nothing got lost in the shuffle.

If its local you could actually do rsync without ssh, that is one of
the fastest ways I have found to copy files over.  But if you are new
to rsync test out your commands on dummy directories first and be wary
of the fact that depending on switches can delete files as well.  I
mistyped an empty directory and almost wiped out a bunch of files but
luckily had set it just to demo and not actually do.

--j