On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM,  <swaite at sbn-services.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone here in the Twin Cities would happen to have
> a Tivo unit for sale that is either already hacked, or easily hackable
> (i.e. no S2 model with PROM). I have a use for a DVP that will simply
> just do that, play video files in either Tivo or Xvid, to which I can
> copy from a laptop to play on a TV. I want to get a Tivo unit because
> they are small, quiet, cheap, and all I need (hence why I am not going
> to build some MythTV unit).

I do not know how "cheap" are TiVos, but if it is in the 200$ price
range, check popcornhour A100:

http://www.popcornhour.com/

I have the unit, and it plays almost everything I throw at it. You can
add HDD to it for local storage (SMB and NFS servers build in), or it
has SMB client to play from a local share.

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.