On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 01:35 -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> What happens when you run this on the bash command line:
>
> source /usr/share/bashdb/bashdb-trace

When I do this in a virtual terminal (gnome-terminal or uxterm) I see
the same error message briefly:

    bash: cannot read .  Perhaps bashdb is installed wrong.
    bash: or try using -L (with a different directory).

before the terminal closes.

> The error message is that it "cannot read ."  So is bashdb-trace
> trying to read something in the default directory that it isn't
> finding?

Ah, I think that's close! Yes, when I look at the bashdb-trace script,
it is trying to find libraries in ${prefix}/share/bashdb by default, but
$prefix is not set. I should have paid more attention to the error
message. The following works:

    source /usr/share/bashdb/bashdb-trace -L /usr/share/bashdb

This also works:

    export prefix=/usr
    source /usr/share/bashdb/bashdb-trace

Not sure which way is correct, so I posted the question in the bashdb
"open discussion" forum on sf.net: http://tinyurl.com/7ncbk7

Also looks like Ubuntu 8.10 is using an older version of the debugger
than is available at http://bashdb.sf.net .

--
Adam Monsen