From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of
auditodd at comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 6:49 PM
To: Jeff Nelson; Mike Miller
Cc: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] laptops for GNU/Linux

I guess I have to disagree just a little.  :-)

I have an HP dv9010us.
Quite the beast of a laptop, but I like being able to run dual hard
drives, the widescreen, and the number pad on the right. (Yes, this is a
wide laptop.)
The internal wireless does NOT work with Linux.
There are all sorts of sites outlining how to make it work...
Bah!
Easier to just plug an Edimax EW7318 into one of the 4 USB ports.
Otherwise, everything else "just works" with Ubuntu v8.10 amd64 version.
--
==========
Todd Young

From: Jeff Nelson <stutterstutt at comcast.net>
> Mike Miller wrote:
> > To the list -- What are your experiences with GNU/Linux laptops in
hotels,
> > airports and coffee shops?
>
> I've been told that laptops build around Intel chipsets tend to work
> better with GNU/Linux than others because they have better support in
> the Open Source arena. Of course, things change and YMMV. The key
factor
> is whether or not your favorite distro supports the chipset used for
> wireless networking.
>
> I've worked and traveled with two different HP business-class laptops
> (hp Compaq nc6000 and hp Compaq nc6320). I use Ubuntu (Intrepid) and
the
> Gnome desktop. gnome-network-manager handles switching from wired to
> wireless (and vice versa) and will automatically connect to a wireless

> network I've been on before.
>
> Based on my personal experience with them, I recommend taking a look
at
> HP business laptops; they just work for me with little fuss.
Refurbished