Mike Miller wrote:
> To the list -- What are your experiences with GNU/Linux laptops in hotels,
> airports and coffee shops?

I've been told that laptops build around Intel chipsets tend to work
better with GNU/Linux than others because they have better support in
the Open Source arena. Of course, things change and YMMV. The key factor
is whether or not your favorite distro supports the chipset used for
wireless networking.

I've worked and traveled with two different HP business-class laptops
(hp Compaq nc6000 and hp Compaq nc6320). I use Ubuntu (Intrepid) and the
Gnome desktop. gnome-network-manager handles switching from wired to
wireless (and vice versa) and will automatically connect to a wireless
network I've been on before.

Based on my personal experience with them, I recommend taking a look at
HP business laptops; they just work for me with little fuss. Refurbished
HP business laptops are an especially good value.

-Jeff

P.S. Disclaimers: I work for HP. I am speaking for myself, not HP. My
comments are based on my own personal experience.