From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Curtis Griesel
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:10 AM
To: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] comcast strikes another

We can't get DSL in my area of Bloomington because the phone
infrastructure is too old.  Comcast has a monopoly on broadband service,
and residential service starts at $60 per month.  Of course this is not
all Comcast's fault, the city council could take a little leadership on
broadband access for Bloomington.  But I suspect the city is in cahoots
with Comcast because they get their community-access cable services and
infrastructure from Comcast.  I wonder what other benefits the council
gets from Comcast that they make us continue to pay Comcast $60 per
month for their marginal internet services, but that's the state of
affairs right now.

Curtis

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Justin Krejci <jus at krytosvirus.com>
wrote:

> I believe that they lie to customers about their policies.  They offer
> service that they do not provide.  They also increased my monthly fees
> quite massively in the past few years.  Maybe the service got faster,
but
> I didn't care.  I'd rather have it slower and pay less, but they
didnt'
> ask.  So of course I am seeking other providers.

DSL - slower but cheaper plus you have a wider choice of ISP in most
areas.