still blocked.

I am going to miss my mail server :(

Bob De Mars
T: 651 925 1510       bob at grunners.com
Cell: 612 850 6940   www.grunners.com

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Marc Skinner
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 7:54 AM
To: TCLUG List
Subject: [tclug-list] comcast strikes another

well, they just did it to me!  they are now blocking port 25!  i called
and complained and they say - that they saw 5,000 emails or more come
from my cable modem on a single day.  so they are preventing that port
now - and will not fix it.

i know my system isn't sending that - i have no windows boxes, and the
majority of my traffic is sent via a VPN.  i did however download about
500gb of corp data to my fileserver ( i work for red hat - need to
synchronize all the software, etc) - and i'm sure that is what they
flagged me - a large amount of data over a short amount of time.  i had
been happy with comcast but this is not cool.

it also seems that they have reduced my upload speed from 4mb to 1.5mb
... but i'll have to do some more testing to verify.

might be time to increase my DSL circuit.  i have always had a slow
1.5mb DSL line as a backup, since my wife and i both work from home, and
both our jobs rely on internet connectivity, i felt it worth the extra
$20 a month for a slow backup line.  it actually comes in handy about
3-4 times a year, as my comcast line will go down for 1-3 days a couple
of times during the year ... usually due to the local neighbourhood
comcast visit that screws up something for the entire neighbourhood
until i call and complain - like this weekend!

might also have to look at the business comacast offering - faster and
supposedly no limits or restrictions.  anybody have that?  i live in
burnsville so any feed back regarding the comcast business offering
would be useful.

thanks!