Thanks B-o-b - replies are inline.

Yep, I added the drive to the LV before I moved the extents.  I moved all
PEs from each of the two drives to the new drive.  The old drives are 40G
each and the new drive is 1T.

Summary of the steps I did:
- First, I used fdisk to add a partition of type LV to the new drive.

- Then, I used the GUI to add it to the LV.  There may have been an
"initialize it" step (button click) in there too; can't remember at this
point.

- After that, I used the GUI to move each drives' extents to the new drive.
When it was done, the GUI showed 2 sections of extents on the new drive (and
a whole lotta unallocated space!), and no extents on the original 2.

- So then I removed the 2 old drives from the LV.  This left the new drive
and the boot drive in the LV.

- Finally, I edited the properties of the LV to claim the rest of the space
on the new drive.

It all seemed to go well; I am surprised at the current state.  I really
thought I did each step carefully.  :-(
If I boot to the rescue mode, I see all the files.  Stuff is intact...

These are the /dev/sd* items:
 - sda1 is /boot.  fdisk still shows it as the only one marked bootable.

 - sda2, sdb1, sdc1, sdd1 are/were in LV.

 - sdd1 is the new drive.

 - sdb1 and sdc1 are the two drives I moved PEs to sdd1, and removed them
from the LV.

> Here is a small exerp from the LVM-HOW to

Thanks - I did read this too!

[snip]

> > I then removed the 2 drives from the LV and rebooted.  It fails of
> course -
> > I see the POST, then some initial messages, and then it hangs with a
> blank
> > screen.
> >
> > I've reviewed lvm CLI commands, looked at statuses, and even tried
> restoring
> > from the automatically created LVM archive files (vgcfgrestore).  I'm
> not
> > sure that that works from the shell, as when I reboot again (not using
> the
> > rescue), the lvm cfg is the same (pvdisplay).
>
> Everything works from the shell, and IMHO it is the gui tool that lead
> you to trouble.
>

> > Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed to fix this?
>
> try this:
>
> REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
>   vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of
> any PVs
> that are no longer present.  If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to
> substitute another of the  same  size,  use
> pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as
> appropriate) to initialize it with the same UUID as the missing PV.
> Repeat for all  other missing  PVs  in  the  VG.   Then  use
> vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata.

The output of "vgdisplay --partial --verbose" looked good - all are present
read/write.

I can cd around many dirs, cat files, etc. and it all looks good.

I'm no sysadmin, but not quite the noob either! ;-)  I really don't know how
to proceed other than reimage it.  But that seems a big waste of time as all
the files are there... (and I have BackupPC and other stuff setup I really
don't have time or interest in redoing!!)