On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> My camera is made by Canon.  It seems like most devices are easier to work
> with than this.  Both on Windows and Ubuntu the camera is somewhat hidden
> when I attach it to the USB port.  I did find the mount point here:

I know this isn't the solution you're looking for, but I have always
used a USB card reader instead of the cable.  Then it shows up on your
computer the same way a thumbdrive would.  I have never had a problem
that way (and I've used them with Linux/Windows/OSX) and it gives me
two bonuses:
1. If the camera's battery is dead, I can till get the pictures off of
it.  (also works if the camera itself is dead, like when my mom
dropped hers into the edge of the Mediterranean, but we got the card
out before the salt water seeped in far enough to destroy the card.
Unfortunately, it cannot help you if you lose the camera altogether!
Surprise!)
2. I keep a spare card in my reader, and use that as a thumbdrive, so
the reader serves a double duty...and if I run out of space on the
card in my camera, I have whatever space is left on that spare card to
use.

Personally, I always use MicroSD and have a reader for that, and a SD
to MicroSD adapter for my camera.  I got mine as a kit with a 2GB
MicroSD card, SD converter, SDHC converter, and USB to MicroSD reader
for somewhere around $15 quite some time ago.
- Justin