On 12/8/2009 5:31 PM, Thomas Rieff wrote:
> TCLUG,
> Thanks for the responses so far.
> The Outlook client is from 2000 so I think it is time for a change. Also,
Yup, I agree, nothing is better than an outdated, vulnerability ridden
old (and unsupported) Outlook client ;-).

> groupware features would help office functionality.
> Yes I would like to go web based app.
> Now we have to vpn into our network
> and use a vnc to access our email from the outside.
What an absolute pain!

> Our hosting is with our cable internet provider. As far as spam, the service
> has been excellent and I am not interested in changing this.
Ah, this is where things get a little wamboozled. I believe your ISP
supports IMAPS support which would allow you to host a webmail client
and directly access your mboxes (from initial glance it looks like you
may have webmail support? mail.greengcaremankato.com). Since you enjoy
there spam filtering, you really cant take your ISP out of the mix.

> I would like to download the email from this provider and put them on the
> server as an imap to the client app. Is it a good idea to be saving
> emails???
Absofrigganlutely! Right now all your mail belongs to your ISP since
that is where it is hosted. IMO, I would have your ISP bounce mail
(after filtering) to your server, that you have full control over and
set up a retention and backup policy. Also, if your server was down,
your ISP would queue your mail until it was up for delivery.

> I looked at the suggested Horde Groupware and this has potential as I
> already have a Ubuntu server running in the office. The Zimbra would require
> a standalone server, which may have its own merits. In the experimenting
> stage, so can try different things and hopefully have online by our spring
> season.
> Tom
 From what I have seen you may not even need to worry about the MTA/MX
part of things if your ISP supports the protocols you require. Although,
say if you are running an web based MUA on a local machine and your mail
is hosted by your ISP, you will have degraded performance. Again, I
would recommend having your ISP bounce mail to a local server, then do
what you will.

Can you all tell im bored today ;-) Sorry for my disorganized thoughts,
hopefully I helped someone out.