On 12/8/2009 3:25 PM, Thomas Rieff wrote:

> *TCLUG,*
>
> *Is Zimbra ZCS a good choice for replacing Outlook???*
>
> *Currently we are not running an exchange server and Outlook clients
> are stand alone.*
>
> *As I understand it, Zimbra ZCS would add web access and server
> capability.*
>
> *Tom*
>
> * *
>
> Thomas Rieff
>
> *GreenCare*
>
> *1717 3rd Avenue*
>
> *Mankato, MN 56001*
>
> *(507) 344-8314 Office*
>
> *(507) 344-8316 Fax*
>
> *(507) 381-0660 Cell*

Your question to me looks like "Is replacing a standalone MUA with a
full fledged Groupware implementation a good choice?".

I guess I have a question for you, what is the desired outcome of
replacing outlook/what do you want to be able to do?

 From the bit I understood it looks like you want to be able to access
your e-mail wherever using a MUA, and be able to access e-mail via a web
based implementation. This by itself is fairly easy setup of Postfix
(MTA) -> Courier IMAP(S) -> Web based MUA (Roundcube). (I know others
may like other MTA's and IMAP servers).

I have wanted to give Horde Groupware a go
(http://www.horde.org/webmail/) but I haven't gotten around to it. I
have never used Zimbra before so I cant really say whether or not that
it the way to go.

I'm fairly scared of Google so unfortunately I usually dot recommend
them (IMO).