A nice midpoint between stand-alone Outlook and a full-blown mail
server like Exchange or Zimbra is Google Apps for Domains.  It gives
you a top-notch web-based mail client.  And if people won't pry their
hands off of Outlook, you can set Outlook to sync with Google Mail.

I've heard good things about Zimbra.  But the smaller organizations
I've worked with are better served by Google AFD than by trying to
manage their own mail server.

Curtis