On 12/7/2009 8:04 AM, Raymond Norton wrote:
> Add a second IP to your nic on the same subnet as the device
>

> Thomas Rieff wrote:
>
>> TCLUG,
>> I need to access a device that has a default address of 192.168.1.20 so I
>> can configure it for my existing network.
>> My network is something different. What would be a work around so I do not
>> have to re-invent the wheel.
>> Tom
>>
>> Thomas Rieff
>> GreenCare
>> 1717 3rd Avenue
>> Mankato, MN 56001
>> (507) 344-8314 Office
>> (507) 344-8316 Fax
>> (507) 381-0660 Cell

I found this which would probably help you out:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ubuntu-linux-creating-ethernet-alias-for-eth0-network-device.html

This pertains mainly to adding an IP alias (adding another IP to your
nic) on Ubuntu (Debian).

Or, you could always assign your primary NIC to another IP/subnet if you
do not want to add an alias which would be as easy as:

ifconfig em0 inet 192.16.1.21/24

to set it back (assuming you use DHCP):

sudo dhclient em0

FYI, your network interface may not be em0 and you may not be using
Ubuntu or Debian, and the device may not be on a /24 subnet (you never
let us know). Have you solved your problem?

-Mr. Mailinglists