On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Rieff <trieff at greencaremankato.com>wrote:

>  *Are there any basic guidelines for assigning ip address to various
> devices on the internal network???*

Here's what I do. It's a little complex and "wasteful" but that hardly
matters on a private range.

I use 10.x.0.0/16 for my private networks, where x is usually 10 for my home
network, and maybe a 20 for a "guest" wireless network if I have one
configured.

Within 10.10.0.0/16, I use the 3rd octet as a sort of type designator.

Routers live at 10.10.254.x
Wireless APs get 10.10.253.x
Servers live at 10.10.240.x
Fixed-address workstations get 10.10.10.x
DHCP clients get 10.10.1.x

There are some other categories, but I forget them. Specifics are basically
a matter of preference anyway, but the overall system has worked well for
me.