On Mon, November 30, 2009 9:52 pm, Mike Miller wrote:
> After about 10 hours of working on this and basically getting nowhere, I'm
> prepared to take more radical steps.  I still can't get to Gnome desktop,
> but I don't need to use it.  In fact, I usually do not use it.  I usually
> use icewm in vnc.
>
> What I need is a way to get to my VNC session on the local machine without
> running gdm.  Is that hard to do?

I don't have any hints specific to actually fixing this problems, but
there are several work arounds that you could try.

Why not use a a different *dm?  I am not sure which ones Ubuntu has
available, but I have used both xdm and wdm, though they have less frills
than gdm.  I am sure Ubuntu has kdm, though that it probably bigger than
you need.  I also see that there is an ldm, though I have never used it.

Jim Crumley               |Twin Cities Linux Users Group Mailing List(TCLUG)
Ruthless Debian Zealot       |http://www.mn-linux.org/
Never laugh at live dragons  |