On 08/11 02:40 , Matt Hallacy wrote:
> I maintain our RPM repository and packages at work. It's trivial to
> create, build, rebuild for different architectures, upload and repo-ize
> them compared to when I've had to dig into our Debian repository to
> update a package when the guy who maintains that was not available.

I spent a lot of time building RPMs /ab initio/. Since we switched to being
a Debian shop, I have hardly had to build a package at all (a fine argument
in favor of Debian); but I didn't find it terribly difficult to learn to
make .debs. They do follow a somewhat less discoverable method of
construction, I'll admit; but I don't think it's actually any harder (and in
fact may be a lot easier to do correctly, since they give you so many tools
for the operation).

> A DEB is a glorified tarball (ARchive actually) that provides you with
> the files, and some install/uninstall/configure scripts
>
> An RPM is a glorified tarball that provides you with the same scripts,
> and a .spec file that allows you to rebuild an exact copy (and
> derivations) of the original package.

They're both means to the same end. One of the fundamental differences of
philosophy tho, is that RPMs are supposed to be non-interactive, whereas
.debs are supposed to be interactive (unless you configure it otherwise).
This means that .debs warn you when something is about to break, and give
you a chance to fix up your configuration right there. This makes the admin
much less likely to miss something and earn the ire of users for whom that
thing 'broke'.

> the RPM build process
> is *much* more easily automated and I see a great deal more
> Fedora/CentOS mirrors (and third party repositories) than Debian.

I think this is a matter of perception; and I don't think it's terribly
constructive to argue over. I just remember Debian having a 'build farm'
long before other distros, so they could provide automated quality control
of package builds. Yes, bugs do slip in. This happens with all distros and
even with a statistical analysis of bug frequency we could argue for quite a
while over which distro is better.

Take your pick of distros; and I'll take mine. I'll freely admit I have my
biases. (For instance, I don't like names that sound like gastrointestinal
movements). I'll tell you why I think my choice is best; but I won't compel
you to change.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator